Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Staycation

For our anniversary celebration, we had a staycation. I was surprised as I mentioned this to people and they did not know what it was. Here's a little info from Wikipedia if you're also not sure: "A staycation (also spelled stay-cation, stacation, or staykation) is a neologism for a period of time in which an individual or family stays and relaxes at home or a nearby hotel, possibly taking day trips to area attractions. Staycations achieved popularity in the US during the financial crisis of 2007–2010." On our staycation, we started the day off with a lovely brunch at Village Inn, and then headed to the zoo. Neither of us had been to the Hogle Zoo before, and we were excited to check it out. My favorite part were the little monkeys. So cute! We watched a big gorilla eat its poo. Gross. Then we saw the zoo's most famous resident right now, Zuri, the baby elephant. She was very cute as well.

Here we are, riding the zoo train with all the kiddies. If you go to the Hogle Zoo, don't take the train. It's like 30 seconds long and you don't really see anything cool on it.


Isn't Jacob's face so cute in this picture? He had fun with the big water ball that you move around.


That evening we went to a play at the Off Broadway Theatre called Y-Light. It is was a spoof on Twilight featuring vampires from BYU and werewolves, or "beer wolves," from the U. It was pretty funny and had a lot of Mormon jokes and rivalry jokes, both of which we enjoyed.

P.S. Our cats are still adorable, in case you were wondering:

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Wish we lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    Thank you for keeping up on our blog, it makes it a lot better when there are constant updates...you are the best!

    Also, I loved our staycation. You look very beautiful in the picture taken on the train.

    You will notice that this comment was posted very early in the morning, I am up way past my bedtime. I am going to be alone until people get home from work tomorrow so I am staying up a long as I can so I can sleep through everyones work day...is that stupid? I don't have you here with me to tell me when I am doing stupid stuff.

    I love you...and I miss you too!

    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a go-cation. Like a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, that would just be a vacation...how many degrees do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun! One of the best things about a staycation is you get to sleep in your own bed at night. (Maybe I'm just getting old and like my creature comforts.)

    ReplyDelete