Thursday, May 6, 2010

Being a Social Worker Rocks

Let me tell you about it.
Job #1: There is a lady at the hospital who had a stroke a few months ago. She was able to answer yes or no questions only. Her sons were worried she was really depressed, so I started visiting her more often. This week as I was visiting her, she talked to me for the first time!! It was really exciting! Things were not looking very good for a while, and we still don't know how much she'll recover, but this is a big step and it was cool that I was there to see it.


Job #2: I have started doing some play therapy at my other job. I'm not very experienced in play therapy, and not sure sometimes what I'm doing...but the kids and I have a good time playing with Play-doh anyway. One particular little girl I've seen a few times completely opened up to me this week and told me all about how she felt and what was going on in her life. It was pretty cool. We were painting...must have been the paints. She also gave me the heart sticker.

I have to keep these in mind when I have not-so-good days...but overall, my jobs are awesome.

2 comments:

  1. That's exciting! Keep up the good work. (Thank goodness for the good days.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is way cool. I had a class on play therapy but have never really had a chance to use it as High Schoolers are not really into spilling their guts while playing with play-doh. I'm glad you like your jobs. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete