Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Parable of the Orange Julius

During dinner last week:

Laura: I bought some frozen orange juice concentrate. I'm going to make Orange Julius.
Jacob: No way! I was going to use that for making Orange Julius.
Laura: Yeah, but I have a recipe and it's really good.
Jacob: I'm pretty sure I make it better.
Laura: No, I'm pretty sure I make it better.

Or something like that. Anyway, this conversation of course resulted in an Orange Julius Taste Off. We invited our friends Kiya and Michael over to participate as judges. We had Orange Julius A samples, and Orange Julius B samples. Our friends tried both and then wrote down their votes. And the winner was...neither. Kiya voted for A, Michael voted for B. Unfortunately we could only get two people to come over and be judges. So our contest was a flop.

But, Kiya mixed part of sample A with part of sample B and decided that both recipes mixed together was better than either separately. Thus, the Parable of the Orange Julius: my best + Jacob's best = awesome. (Thanks, Jacob for bringing out the best in me.) :)

P.S. Here are the recipes if you are curious-

Laura's recipe:
1 1/4 C orange juice
1 C water
3 TB egg white
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 C ice
blend, add ice last

Jacob's recipe:
put a lot of ice cream, some milk, a little vanilla, just enough orange juice concentrate, and several ice cubes in the blender. blend.

6 comments:

  1. I always thought two heads are better than one.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber's recipe:
    2 TB sugar
    half a thing of orange juice concentrate
    two cups milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    several frozen strawberries
    I can't remember how much ice


    It's sooo good!

    btw, it is too hard to comment on your blog--I had to try like four times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the recipes in themselves tell a lot about you too. Laura's is precise and measured and Jacob's is just an estimation of what he does.

    I don't like Orange Julius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I love it. You can bring me some next time for a taste test ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Orange Julius. I bet neither of you remember the Orange Julius stands that used to be in malls. Any kind is good with me. Maybe you'll make me some when I see you next???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom, there is an Orange Julius in the Galleria Mall right now. I am going to try Laura's recipe because Jacob's isn't so much a recipe, but more of a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete